CUCC Expedition Handbook - New Cave
Creating a new cave in the online system
Great, I have discovered a new cave...
So, you have staggered off the plateau with a fist-full of notes and surveys,
and you want to let the world know of your massive discovery.
- If you have not yet learned how to record your prospecting and survey
your leads, read the
This page outlines step 1 of the survey production process. Each step is documented separately.
After 40 years or so, we have a well-defined process which you will need to learn.
Read all this list first, then follow
the instructions section by section which tell you how to
actually do these things.
- Write up your trip in the logbook including rigging sketches
- Put notes in a new wallet
- If it is a new cave, fill out a paper New Cave form
- Scan the notes (see "new wallet" for the filenames to use and how to use the scanner)
- Type in survey data (in the right place in the file system) in survex format.
(This includes passage descriptions and open leads known as QMs: Question Marks).
- Run survex to create a centre-line printout (online in a browser or on your computer)
- Transcribe your sketches onto centre-line paper
- Scan your centre-lined sketches
- Use therion or tunnel to digitise your centre-line sketches
- Connect your survey to the surveys of other caves by fixing the entrance location.
and either later or at the same time, you will be doing these other tasks
- Upload your GPS track to the cave and file photos of the entrance
- Create a new folder in the file system for the wallet data (automatic when using the Upload form)
- Create a new folder in the file system for the survex data (automatic when using the online survex edit form)
- Create a "new cave entry" for the guidebook description
- Write the full cave description into the correct html files.
(This will mean copying the passage descriptions from the survex files.)
- Update the index tick boxes on paper in the wallets lever-arch file in the potato hut: as your wallet progresses through this process
- Update the online record of those tick boxes using the online form, e.g. for wallet 2022#01
- Check the online list of outstanding survey tasks for all the wallets for the current year: 2022.
This documentation assumes that you have recorded your survey data in
a waterproof paper notebook. If instead you are using a PDA to record the survey readings
digitally for your first cave, don't. Use the paper process first, then when you are familiar
the overall process, look at the PDA additional notes.
The Process in brief
Now go the the next page  in this sequence Creating a new survey wallet".