CUCC Expedition Handbook - New Cave
Creating a new cave in the online system
Great, I have discovered a new cave...
So, you have staggered off the plateau with a fist-full of notes and surveys,
and you want to let the world know of your massive discovery.
- If you have not yet learned how to record your prospecting and survey
your leads, read the
This page outlines step 1 of the survey production process. Each step is documented separately.
After 40 years or so, we have a well-defined process which you will need to learn.
Read all this list first, then follow
the instructions section by section which tell you how to
actually do these things.
- Write up your trip in the logbook including rigging sketches
- Put notes in a new wallet
- Scan the notes (see "new wallet" for the filenames to use and how to use the scanner)
- Type in survey data (in the right place in the file system) in survex format.
(This includes passage descriptions and open leads known as QMs: Question Marks).
- Run survex to create a centre-line printout
- Transcribe your sketches onto centre-line paper
- Scan your centre-lined sketches
- Use tunnel to digitise your centre-line sketches
and either later or at the same time, you will be doing these other tasks
- Upload your GPS track to the cave and file photos of the entrance
- Create a new folder in the file system for the wallet data
- Create a new folder in the file system for the survex data
- Create a "new cave entry" for the guidebook description
- Write the full cave description into the correct html files.
(This will mean copying the passage descriptions from the survex files.)
- Update the index tick boxes on paper: as your wallet progresses through this process
- Update the online record of those tick boxes
- Regenerate the list of outstanding survey tasks for everyone for the current year
This documentation assumes that you have recorded your survey data in
a waterproof paper notebook. If instead you are using a PDA to record the survey readings
digitally for your first cave, don't. Use the paper process first, then when you are familiar
the overall process, look at the PDA additional notes.
Now go the the next page in this sequence Starting a new wallet".