CUCC Expedition Handbook - Online systems
New Expo Maintenance - Creating a New Year
- This page is a checklist for programmers who are configuring the systems for next year's expo .
Adding a new year in the Expo online systems
There is no script to do this (yet). In the list below everything in expofiles is done by directly
overwriting what is on the server. Changes to :expoweb: and :troggle: must be done using the version control
system as these are repositories.
[Many website pages generated by troggle will fail for the new year you are creating until you do the folk-update process
to create a new year column (see below). ]
Well before Expo as these pages are used in planning
- Create a new expoweb website folder e.g. /2022/ in
- edit expoweb/index.htm - edit the title and make it link to e.g. expoweb/years/2022/
- edit troggle/templates/base.html - change the title and add a link to this year's expo
- copy the contents of the previous year's expoweb/years/ folder, e.g. /2016/ to /2017/ and edit all the files therein. You should start with at least an index.html and a mission.html
- edit expoweb/folk/folk.csv - see below - just to add a column for the coming year. Until that year column exists, the online system will be unaware that there is an expedition that year.
Whenever you like before Expo
- Create new subfolders e.g. /2022/ in expofiles/, in each of
- expofiles/accounts/ - optional. Used for archiving after expo.
- expofiles/videos/ - optional. We don't do this much.
- copy wallets.py from the previous year's folder in expofiles/surveyscans/ into the current year
- create 50 folders in the new surveyscans year folder e.g. in expofiles/surveyscans/2022/ of the form /2022#01/, /2022#02/ etc.
- Test that the bierbook and seshbook LaTeX scripts expoweb/documents/bierbook work on your machine
A week or so before Expo
- create initial versions of the bierbook and the seshbook in expoweb/documents/bierbook
(the final copies after expo will be scanned and put in
e.g. expofiles/writeups/2022/ along with the scanned logbook). These need an updated names.txt file of expoers.
- update the gear tape colours for the expected expoers in /expoweb/handbook/geartape.html
- edit expoweb/folk/folk.csv - see below - to add people. Until a name is recorded in the Folk file that person will not be recognised within the online system as a cave surveyor or logbook entry writer.
- Create the Bank of Expo boe for the expected attendees.
This is done directly in an ssh terminal session on the server.
Edit expoweb/folk/folk.csv according to the instructions in the Folk Update process.
Return to the main online systems manual.