Suggestions for Expo Improvements
This page was started so that anyone who has an idea for something
that would improve future Expos can note it down somewhere where it
can be seen and acted on as appropriate.
- Lists of important Austrian phone numbers
e.g. rescue service
should be available in base camp
and top camp when a mobile phone is
- Link to the Staud'nWirt website (URL as yet unknown).
- Key Expo information
etc. could be stored
in the CUCC PWF filespace in Cambridge so that they are available to
future Expo committee members.
- Petrol burning lamp for the bier tent/teepee.
- A 1-page description of how the radios are intended to work
to make it easier to set up and test them. [This could be rendered
wholly obsolete by a move to use mobile phones - contracts and pricing
need to be investigated]
- The radios with batteries need battery meters to aid testing.
- call-out pages should have separate entries for "Estimated time back at
camp" and "call-out time". This would allow people who want info from a
returning party to have a better idea of whether it is worth waiting, and
would allow parties to choose the degree of flexibility in their plans,
balanced against increased risk of a late call-out if they really are having
- expo needs a sock-dryer
- Produce an information board in German to be placed near top camp. This
would give an outline of who we are and what we're doing and which
organisations in Austria we're working with. This could usefully be extended
to label the water hole "Trinkwasser, <do not pollute>"
- that folk actually use the right bins for metal, plastic, compost and
"everything else" at base camp.
- People with too much time on their hands should have
hedgehogs at base camp NOW !
- We need a book at top camp to write down quotes (and anything else
- Expo surveying handbook says that survey notes need to go in envelopes.
However, we clearly need a page of stuff for expo committee to buy each
expo so that there are actually envelopes to use. Lots of loose survey
pages lying round in taty hut in 1998, which is bad news.
- In fact, generalise that: current expo handbook is for expo members -
there really is very little info for expo leaders/organisers, as they are
expected to remember from previous expos. Clearly doesn't work if you
haven't been before !