Loser Plateau - Surface Stroll - Marking Cairns on route @ ~30° from Top Camp
Was supposed to be derigging SEP wih SteveB, but unfortunately suffered from runny-bum. By mid afternoon I was more or less OK, so went for a stroll.
Thought it might be useful to find & cairn a good route out across the plateau to enable prospecting well away from the top camp ( + towards the area N of KH ).
3 ½ hours of bunde (+cliff) bashing found us on the spur of the HSK which extends out into the plateau. Loads + loads of unmarked + unbolted shafts round here, only 45 min from top camp following our cairns. Intend to survey route next year.
Holes noted on route (all close to 030° bearing from top camp)
1) Nase 204° VSK Nip 142° HsK 061°
Large gash, snow in bottom, no obvious markings. Aligned on 050°
2) Brauning Nase 208°
VSK Nipple 159°
LH shoulder of Kl Wild Kogel 0°
Basin with several holes, all look choked, but need checking
3) Natural bridge
Continuing from previous bit, a large depression contains a nice natural bridge.
Nase 205° Nipple 159° HSK 069°
= small opening with draught, appears snow choked.
4) Large snow choked shaft, possible way on at bottom
Nase 204° Nipple 160°
LH shoulder of Kl Wild Kgl 359°
5) Oval opening ~10m long containing snow.
1 possible way on (entered for about 8m in shorts + Tshirt + sunburn) but no draught
LH shoulder of KlWildK 357°
Hole with old fashioned twist hanger, red paint on it. Attached by Allen Bolt (Non-CUCC?)
VSK Nipple 170°
7) Nipple 173°
LH shoulder Kl wild Kgl 357°
8) shaft with massive chocked boulder, snowchoke, possible way on at bottom
9) Large Hole with cairn next to it (Not our cairn, someone's been here before)
10) Very small hole, rattly with big echoes for several seconds. Too small to enter, possibly hammerable.
Zinken 226° Nase 207° Nipple 195° LH shoulder of KWK 347°
Follow path marked by stone wedges vertically next to it.
11) Big shaft snow at bottom, possible ways on, following rift.
LH shoulder of KWK 345°
12) Hole surrounded by ring of small shrubs.
Many other holes not noted due to "Shaft fatigue".
END OF WALK was found at: little one left of Schönberg 303°, LHS of KWK 340°, Zinken 223°, Nase 208°, Nipple 188°
Original notes are in A6 Hardback book, blue, labelled "1998 Top Camp". [and the above logbook entry has been clarified/corrected from said book by Wookey, 1998-10-24]