As increasingly impoverished students make up a large proportion of the
expedition, which is very far from a "cheap holiday", we are grateful for the
sponsorship we have received over recent years, largely in the form of Food.
Here we detail those who have supported the expedition & how. We also
receive monetary support from a number of grant-giving bodies.
Our 1997 sponsors were:
- Barts Spices
- Spices and cash: Student cuisine is apt to be monotonous
unless livened up a little, so a selection of spices is essential to keep us
- Cooking sauces: Also helps avoid monotony, but especially
good for producing appetising meals rapidly when more folk come down to
base camp than expected.
- Thomas Tunnock Ltd.
Caramel Wafers: Very popular, light, high-energy camp & cave food.
- Thorntons plc.
- Special Fudge:
Yummy, very high energy and remarkably cave-proof cave food for a faster
boost to flagging cavers.
- Wander Ltd.
- Ovaltine Options drink: Excellent instant drink, both
chocolate and choc'n'mint much appreciated at both top and base camps.
- Aleph1 Ltd.
- Expeditions have come some way since the days of candles in jam jars, and
CUCC uses computers for the cave surveying and documentation (ie. this
website). Aleph1 loaned the expedition PC, as well as providing workshop
facilities for a variety of other gizmos such as radios and GPS units.
- Wax for boots: Cavers don't just use wellies: leather boots
take some hammer on repeated walks-in to the plateau in typically wet
expo weather. Nikwax helps repel some of that and avoid trench foot.
- Terra Nova Equipment.
- Tents: With people constantrly moving between Base and Top Camps, expo
needs more cloth houses than people. The discount provided on these was very
Warning: their website is framed and unusable on many browsers.
Sponsors for the current year: